I contacted Lisa about a collaboration and she agreed. We decided on bulky yarn since it was something I haven't tried yet. I also ordered 2 different skeins of yarn, one worsted/aran and one dk.
Shipping was very quick, it didn't take long for me to figure out what I wanted to create with this beautiful yarn! One thing I really like about Sweet Gum Fiber Arts Etsy shop is that you can pick which weight of yarn you would like for all the different colors available! It isn't just all sock yarn lol.
The yarn was so soft and easy to work with. Even the bulky yarn! I haven't designed anything with bulky for quite a while, now I'm not sure why. The color is a pretty dark blue with lighter blues mixed in. There was no splitting when I crocheted. The yarn is all an even weight, so no thicker or thinner spots. As per usual..... I had to unravel a few times as I was designing the pattern. The yarn was very easy to unravel and still looked perfect after. If you love bulky yarn, I would absolutely give this a try.
Sweet Gum Fiber Arts Bulky (100% Superwash Merino, 106 yards, 100 grams)
You can find the ear warmer pattern on Ravelry: Stormy Waters Ear Warmer
The aran/worsterd and dk yarns I used to design some cowls :)
The colors are so pretty! It was hard to decide what type of stitch pattern would show off the yarn and the colors. After a lot of trial and error (and unravelling) I finally figured it out.
Oh! One other thing I like about this yarn is you get quite a bit in a hank. It's easy to create a lovely project with the amount of yarn you get with your purchase.
The Unicorn cowl was created with the aran weight yarn.
Sweet Gum Fiber Arts Aran (100% Superwash Merino, 181 yards, 100 grams)
The pattern can be found on Ravelry: Unicorn Cowl
The Perforated Cowl was created with dk weight yarn.
Sweet Gum Fiber Arts DK (100% Superwas Merion, 246 yards, 100 grams)
The pattern can be found on Ravelry: Perforated Cowl
Let's find out a bit about Lisa and her business :)
1. Company Name, your name, where you are located.
Sweet Gum Fiber Arts, Lisa Griffith, Just outside Philadelphia Pennsylvania
2. What made you decide to dye yarn? I got into yarn dyeing in 2020. It was something I had run across on YouTube, and with everything shut down due to Covid, I had extra time on my hands. It was love immediately.
3. What inspires you when choosing colors and/or color combinations. Colors for me are life inspired. I live on the edge of a wildlife preserve; the change of my backyard throughout the seasons is a huge inspiration for some of my colors. I also have some colors that are driven by emotions and different times in my life.
4. Do you have a favorite yarn base you like to work with? My favorite yarn base to dye is anything above a worsted weight, I just love how speckles look on the thicker stuff. To work with, currently its the DK weight, either 100% superwash merino, or the nylon blend. They are so soft and easy to work with.
5. Do you knit or crochet? I am a crocheter first and foremost. I do knit at times, mainly items for my family.
6. Where can everyone purchase your yarn? I have my yarn for sale on Etsy, under SweetGumFiberArts
7. What are your social media links? I only have an Instagram for my shop as of now. You can find me under the same name.
8. Do you ship worldwide? If not, where do you ship? I ship worldwide.
1. One winner will receive the April Single Month Yarn Club Box! You can pick the weight, and what type of stitch marker you would like!
2. Four winners will receive a copy of the 3 patterns I created with the yarn listed above.
Winners will be chosen on March 10 in the morning.
You can enter using the form below. If the form does not open for you, try this link:
The Give Away is open to Canadian & US residents only. (sorry, shipping costs are crazy!)